How to Create a Bedtime Routine
Everyone thrives with routine and predictability and children are no different.
Whether it’s been an adventurous morning at the park, a cosy playdate or a busy day at school, all kids (whether they know it or not) desire a calm and chilled bedtime routine.
For different age groups and personalities this may differ slightly but our top tips for a smooth and happy bedtime include…
- Winding down and switching off from the day, this may mean cuddling up on the sofa, having a warm bath or listening to soothing music.
- Avoid technology, anything that will over stimulate and disrupt the natural rhythm and calm we feel at night.
- Start early, there is no pressure or rush to get things done quickly and both you and your child will enjoy this quality time together even more.
- Be consistent, everyone will know where they stand, what’s expected of them and what’s coming next.
- Create positive sleep associations. Whether it is a song, a story, a cuddly toy or your childs favourite blanket, there is no such thing as a child that is too secure or too comfortable, these things can only help and aid a good and restful nights sleep for all.